Saturday, January 22, 2005

noise control

i've recently discovered this whole teacher blog underworld. i don't have a lot of teacher friends and i love to read about the idiosyncrasies of other teachers and their experiences. i find them hilarious.
i just read an old blog by a teacher who hasn't been able to listen to music. i so have that problem! i used to listen to an array of music, from sleater-kinney, bikini kill, to ani, teegan and sara, interpol, sonic youth, fugazi, to the roots, tribe, mos def, aceyalone, atmosphere... and NOW, as a teacher, i've been listening to jazz, quiet folk songs, silence. i think my ears are so deafened from all the clatter and noise and my mind and heart are so tired and abused that i can't spit out any more emotion or energy unless i absolutely have to.
actually, this past week i've started listening to some of my old music again. it started with four tet, dj shadow--quieter music. music without a lot of words. but today i listened to sleater-kinney's recent album. i even sang along.

3 Comments:

Blogger EdWonk said...

And The Education Underground has just discovered you.;)

10:37 PM  
Blogger la maestra said...

i imported several CDs onto one of the classroom computers since i like to play music during DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) time... since lots of the Spanish music i listen to has some inappropriate lyrics, i usually end up playing mellow Spn pop or jazz. my asst. principal gave me several CDs of children's music so now those are on there as well. after school and on weekends when i'm in my room, i like to play music, but sadly i find myself singing along to the kiddie stuff just as much as my "naughtier" tunes. sad, sad, SAD.

...although i HAVE started listening to N.E.R.D. in the mornings to get me hyped up for the day. that's an improvement, right?

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where are these teacher blogs at? I recently discovered Ginny (how I found your blog) and it was literally the first teacher's blog I've EVER found, and I've been blogging for almost three years. I haven't been looking, but I know I would have been interested if I would have found one. I don't know why I am still so interested in teachers/teaching since I quit in a blaze of glory after only three years.

Carrie (www.queenoframbles.com)

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home