Friday, January 28, 2005

unions, to join or not to join

La maestra is right, we can join unions in Texas. We aren't allowed to strike though. We're pretty much at the mercy of the legislature and the unions. I belong to a local union and the only reason I joined was because several teachers encouraged it when I began teaching. Why? To CYA. I heard that it's beneficial if someone is trying to unjustly fire you or you are accused of something... scary, huh? I think of it as a safety belt.

I'm not a fan of the really big, bureaucratic organizations. Sometimes I think they're just part of the problem. It's ironic that many unions, which are supposed to be voices of the people, become another spoke in the wheel and alienated from those people they are created to help. (Note: I'm not saying this is true of every union)

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Here in CA it's the same thing. They automatically take 83 bucks a month from my paycheck, whether or not I choose to be a union member. Since they're taking my money anyhow, I joined. We're not allowed to strike in my district either (unless the union gives the ok, apparently). Granted, I'm a first year teacher, so I might be misinterpreting things.

While I can see a positive in having someone "get your back" if someone is trying to fire you or accuse you of something, that's about the only positive thing I see.

And I hate paying nearly $900 a year to these people.

I suppose I should talk to a union rep before I bitch too much about it; maybe there really is something worthwhile to it all.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Pigs said...

All we have in my district is the choice to join ATPE or the like, which do a lot to get information out about political issues to watch for, write about, etc. It's also a liability protective CYA deal, but they don't campaign on your behalf or anything. It's about $130 a year.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home