Wednesday, February 23, 2005

lord.

ugh!

this semester i have a new batch of kids and one of them is weirding me out. during a side conversation we discovered that we both like aesop rock and, since that fateful day, homeboy has been making inappropriate remarks. like asking me out.

the first time he suggested we go to a hip-hop show together and i just looked at him cross-eyed. i mean, i've had kids make nasty comments to me but they were purposely derogatory and meant to take power away from me. and those perps always ended up in the office. and kids have tried to "get me to go to a rave" but we all knew they were kidding. but homeboy asked me out in a really mild manner, like he was asking for a piece of paper, and it sort of shocked me.

the next time he asked me if i wanted to hang out and get some dinner. i'm like, what the hell are you talking about? in fact, i blurted out, "homeboy, why do think we're friends? i'm your teacher. i'm not your friend. i have friends my own age." he laughed. "i know. but come on, we can be friends." i just stared at him. and then i said, "we're not friends. we're not equals. you are my student." i wanted to say, and why the hell would i hang out with you? you're 17. and my student.

so today, during class, i made a sarcastic remark about golf and he says, "hey do you like golf? we should go play sometime." and the kids are looking at me like, what the hell is he talking about? and i'm looking at him like, what the hell are you talking about? i didn't know what to do. he's a really nice kid and i don't want to hurt his feelings. but shit. i think i'm going to have to sit him down and set him straight. which will be incredibly awkward.

i just don't understand why this kid feels free to make these inappropriate advances. i've heard another adult describe him as "creepy" before. i wouldn't say that. he just doesn't seem to understand boundaries.

3 Comments:

Blogger la maestra said...

i had a 7th grader who creeped me out like that. if other teachers have commented on similarly weird behavior, you gotta have a sit-down with him and let him know that while his feelings are valid (and good luck figuring out how to word that), they are not appropriate given your respective roles are teacher and student... AND the whole age thing (I believe it's spelled LeTourneau, btw). But harp on how it's your job to make sure he learns, and while yes, you may have things in common, that doesn't mean that you can start hanging out. And if he presses you, the principal said you can't and that's that! Suerte, yo.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

There is a name for this. It is called sexual harassment. Find your school's policy and give him a copy.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Oooh! Creepy! I second abigail...give him the policy. And report him for the record. Ew. And don't walk to your car after dark.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home