Friday, February 11, 2005

"Man, you're always hurting yourself Ms.!"

This February has been especially funky for me. I've been getting pretty burnt out and I decided to do the unthinkable: take a day off. gasp. I know. I was feeling sorta guilty. But I've missed one day this entire year and that was for professional development. And I've got my hands on lots of projects for the district and my school and, well, I was beginning to go a little crazy. For example, the other day I taught the wrong chapter to my sociology classes. This was a new low in my career. I explained to my students that I am slowly going insane and that particular incident was part of the early stages of insanity. So, yesterday was to be my mental health day.

Well, Wednesday night I decided that I, being 25, would stay out past 10 pm. That's right people, I was going to have a life. Unfortunately, I slipped on the bathroom floor and strained my ankle. So my mental health day was not spent outside or exercising or changing the oil in my car. It was spent on the couch with my leg propped up, eating Oreos and feeling sorry for myself.

I have to say, I've been surprised by my student's reactions to my crutches. They're faces literally fall and they exclaim, "What happened!" They've given me advice and offered to help me around the classroom. They want to know the story and we all share a laugh about how clumsy I am.

Today has been filled with feelings of comradery and warmth. It makes me feel not so burnt out and irritated. It's a nice contrast to the little Mardi Gras hellions from earlier this week.

But...I'm secretly wondering if my foot injury is pay-back for actually taking a day off.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anonymouph said...

Wow! I can't imagine teaching on crutches. Our jobs are hard enough as it is. I think my kids (students) would take serious advantage of the fact that I was incapacitated, but maybe I could just threaten to whack 'em with a crutch. Good luck.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Quo said...

Hope you get better soon.

Quo Poe

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home