Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Ruby Payne, I'm gonna read your book from start to finish!

Thanks to a friend, I've finally gotten my hands on Ruby Payne's Framework for Understanding Poverty. I've read various chapters and attended lectures about her work, but her book is really hard to find. Alll of the local bookstores are out and I swear that five months ago Amazon said the book was out of print. (I just clicked over to Amazon and found it back on the market). And after that, I became too lazy to search further. Luckily, over corn dogs, cokes, and good discussion, I realized my friend has a copy of the book. I wish she's write about her experiences. She teaches Life Skills kids and has the best stories. Anyways, this blog was to express my supreme excitement. Weeeeee!


ps. on a totally different matter, testing = <5 hours = brain dead kids = tired teachers

4 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

I had that training when I ghetto-taught. It was really good. That and Cooperative Discipline were the most helpful to me my first few years. Do they have C.D. here?

3:53 PM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

what's cooperative discipline? i don't know the jargon, but i may not know the discipline either. :)

4:12 PM  
Blogger posthipchick said...

i went to the training- not with her, with one of her speakers and it was HORRIBLE. i think it was about 75% horrible because the speaker was racist, classist, and a mysoginist, to boot.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

ya, i've heard that about her. that's another reason i'm interested in reading the book. i think there's controversy surrounding her ideas. i'm only on like page 15 but i'll get back to you!

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home