Wednesday, February 02, 2005

tidbits

  • this morning in first period i rapped for the class. they told me not to quit my day job but still supplied me with a beat.
  • also in first period: two kids got a hold of markers and scribbled all over their hands and arms. i half expected them to eat the markers. A sphincter says what?
  • in second period we were watching a clip on simon bolivar and how he was influenced by enlightenment ideas. during the recitation of the declaration of independence, the first line that talks about unalienable rights, one of my students shouts out, "hey, that comes from john locke, right!" i was so overcome with excitement and joy that i fainted in a heap on the floor. (what she's referring to is the influence of john locke, and his idea of natural rights, on jefferson, who then included this idea in the declaration. i've really been stressing the connection between the enlightenment and the american revolution).
  • in fifth period i battled for power. i explained (again) that my procedure for completing work involves no talking. everyone has the right to read without listening to other people yap...yadda yadda...and thus there is no talking while completing the assignment. this one nasty little fuck looked me square in the eye and said, "well what are you going to do? i think we should take a vote." i smiled and said, "i didn't ask for your opinion. this is the procedure. you may begin." i don't like to get into power struggles with kids. but i will control my classroom. or someone will die.
  • i referred a kid to a therapy group. anger problems. history of sexual assault. excessive neediness. great kid. folding under the weight of her issues.
  • i walked aimlessly around my school trying to find a room. i intended on going to a brainstorm meeting about activities for black history month. after 15 minutes of freezing to death (hey, for us texans 40 degrees is really cold) i resigned.
  • i finally admitted to myself that i hate grading and i'm letting it pile up. my desk is beginning to look like a nuclear war zone.

5 Comments:

Blogger la maestra said...

let's make a grading date! sometime next week good for you? i have a stupid pta meeting tomorrow!!!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Grading is the worst! I have to force myself to stay on top of it (ie - I'm not allowed to go home until I'm done everyday) or it becomes a force I can't deal with. So, kids still color on themselves in high school? That's disturbing.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Is that why teachers take weeks to give back graded papers and tests? I think if there's a deadline/due date for students' papers and a time limit for students to complete exams, then so should the teachers that grade them. But my opinion never counts, ever. And that's cetainly NOT John Locke.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

i've included an explanation of how john locke is linked to jefferson in the blog.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home