Monday, April 04, 2005

hog heaven

when i decided to pursue my dream of teaching, i envisioned myself using socratic questioning methods and counseling kids in my spare time. i had this picturesque image of me and a student sitting together, the student pooring out his/her heart and then soaking in my wonderful advice. next, the student would follow my advice and blossom into a fuller human being. i know. it's egotistical but my intention was to help kids and get some satisfaction out of it. it was a win-win situation. honestly.
my dream never actualized until this week. this past week has been therapy time in my sunny classroom. i signed up for this mentoring program and i've managed to counsel five kids besides my assigned mentorees. and when i say counsel, i mean giving up lunches and off-periods to listen and talk with these kids. i'm used to the "usuals" dropping by but now my well-adjusted kids are sobbing or looking for direction. my loner kids who won't talk to anyone are pulling up a chair and spilling their guts. and you know i'm loving it. i'd like to add that i've been great about listening and not just advising. i have a tendency to lecture, i have to admit. and the best part is that these kids walk away with big smiles on their faces. and i feel like i'm really making a difference, not just droning on about old, dead, white people....
so hey, got a problem? come to madhatter's room! giving advice makes me feel like a better person.

3 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

I think a lot of us have shared your vision. Congrats on accomplishing it. What an encouraging story!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Polski3 said...

Ever see the Nick Nolte movie, "TEACHERS" ? Be careful.

Teachers as counselors may become more of a reality in most schools as counselors are getting the axe along with librarians in many schools/districts.

You might want to have a handy list of various 'assistance' agencies that you can refer kids too for some of the really serious stuff.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Wow! Good for you! :o)

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home