Monday, June 06, 2005

Why Are you Punishing Me?

This morning I created my classroom expectations and procedures, prepared lesson plans, set out atlases and maps, copied "Who Are You?" forms, and set up my gradebook. It was after setting up my gradebook that I realized I've got an infamous student in my summer school class. My heart sank. There are a few students who drive me crazy and this kid is one of them. Keep in mind that I'm a pretty freaking compassionate person and I play well with others. This kid failed my class the first year I taught and proceeded to fail my colleague's class this past year. And now he's in summer school. Because he does absolutely nothing. NOTHING. In fact, I taught him during Credit Recovery (Saturday School) and he refused to complete work then. This kid is a product of Generation Enablement and I truly can't believe he's gotten this far. The boy reads on a sixth grade level, but he's not the only kid I have with inadequate skills. The problem is that he's a neat concoction of 1/4 laziness, 1/4 inability, and 1/2 immaturity. In addition, I think the kid likes me but he's too socially inept and immature to know how to interact with an adult. So he makes lots of rude, inappropriate comments to me, both inside and outside the classroom. And the thing is, my first year I put up with it because I didn't know how to deal with it. But this is my whopping third year I (insert self-depricating laugh) AND summer school, so he needs to watch out. Because I'm not putting up with shit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

Generation Enablement. Love it! Want to use it.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Ms. H said...

Wow! Does he have any support services (counseling, resource, etc)?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

He's in a computer-based program this summer that will help him make up his credits. I remember referring him to a counselor when I had him two years ago, but other than that, I'm not sure. This is the type of kid who falls through the cracks because we don't know of any major trauma, such as physical or sexual abuse, anger issues, etc., and, from what I've seen, that's what qualifies kids to get help. It seems like there are resources, but these programs are underfunded and understaffed. Hopefully with this computer program he'll make up credits. The question is, will he continue his cycle of failing next year...

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home