Wednesday, July 06, 2005

details

i told my students: "you need to check yoself before you wreck yoself." they did...for the most part. i also admitted that i take part of the blame for their craziness because i did not enforce the rules effectively last week. i like to admit fault when appropriate to show them that i'm not into powertrips or ego and to model how to accept responsibility like mature adults. that's my theory anyway.

moving on...kids say the darndest things. here's a sample of a few questions/comments i heard today:

"Ms, what's the difference between being high and drunk? How do they feel different?"
"Ms, do you want to know how many things I blew up this weekend?"
"Ms, did you if you blow chunks against the wind your vomit will hit you in the face?"
"Can I give myself a mohawk with these scissors?"
"I need a sword."
"Can you give us some time today to just play? Like the leave room and let us hang out?

most of these questions did not merit responses, if at least from me. some of them are perplexing, like the suggestion that i leave the room to let them hang out?? oh, and at the end of the day this kid goes, "ms, thanks for letting us have fun today" but i have no idea what he's talking about. it wasn't a fun day. i worked them to the grind. that particular kid admitted that he's so bored at home he likes summer school. if i wasn't getting paid mad cash for this gig, i'd be pulling my hair out strand by strand. it gets pretty tedious.

2 Comments:

Blogger leesepea said...

LOL

My summer school experience today was a little less surreal. Aside from numerous bathroom requests, the strangest thing I heard today was:

Big-eyed girl:"Ms? I have hiccups."
Me, trying to teach double digit multiplication: "Hmmm? Go get a drink of water."
B-EG: "I already did."
Me, still trying to teach: "Oh. Uhm, hold your breath."
B-EG: "No, I like the hiccups."
Me, now exasperated: "Then what are you complaining about? Sit down and finish your math worksheet."

Good luck with the rest of your session.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

The hurling into the wind comment made me laugh hard. Oh, kids, how I love thee...or not. Adults just aren't that funny; they're too serious. But, at least I don't feel like voluntarily making myself bald. That always helps!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home