Tuesday, July 19, 2005

uh uh.

When you work with kids and get along with them, you hear lots of shit. Some shit they tell you, some stuff they've mumbled unsuccessfully and others are side comments uttered when they think you aren't listening. With that said, teaching 11 sophomore boys for four hours a day has opened a window into the teenageboymind that I would have rather left closed. They aren't kidding when they say boys are sexually minded. More like obsessed. Not that we sit around and discuss the matter, but I'm constantly redirecting or halting the conversation and/or joke all together. The sad thing is, I see the humor in some of the jokes, specifically Your Mamma jokes, even though I have to stop them because they are inappropriate and can be outright misogynist. Speaking of, it's extremely eerie to see a tall, gangly, pimply boy with shuffled blonde hair and glasses ferociously singing, Lil Webbie's "Girl gimme that." Giving anyone a sense of power and entitlement over a girl's sexuality is fucking scary and absurd.

Today one of my kids said he's going to fail next year so he can have me again for summer school. I guess that's some sort of pathetic compliment, even though I think he wants to have me as a teacher because my class was crazy. Crazy as in "only during the summer fools" cuz Madhatter don't play during the year. Well, she tries not to. It's hard sometimes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I know exactly what you mean. The worst was when a bunch of guys were trying to *talk* to a girl, and they were being so vulgar, people across the hall were probably blushing. They didn't even know that anything they said was inappropriate, when in fact almost everything they said was inappropriate. At least in public. Sigh.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

P.S. I tagged you for a food meme!

6:47 PM  
Blogger karla said...

Ugh. My sweet, smiley 5-month old son is going to BE one of those gangly goofballs one day. How can I stop this? I need to keep him from dork-ifying. I've got to stunt his growth (and development) fast.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home