Saturday, August 13, 2005

border this!

i like the fresh start of each school year. i like redecorating my room except:

i hate bulletins. i was standing in the middle of my room, stapler in one hand and bordering hanging from the other, when i admitted that i hate butcher paper and i hate borders. my fingertips hurt from pulling staples and my hands hurt from banging the stapler over and over. i hate staplers.

this year i invested in a few inspirational posters. like two. i've never been into them (i love the biographical posters) but i guess i got caught up in the whirl of teacher preparation. i also think my room might be so colorful as to border on obnoxious (hehehe. pun intended). but i use lamps in my classroom so i'm hoping the dim lighting will dampen the color. i'm hoping.

this year i'm also going to emphasize writing skills. my juniors will write an essay, something people in regular classes do not attempt anymore. i know i'm brave. i'm also naive and new to the subject. sixteen year olds should be able to string sentences together and put them in a particular format. seriously.

the only thing is that i'm terrible with punctuation and not the best at grammar. in the blogging world i just guess a lot. i used to be awesome at grammar but i've grown rusty. maybe i should pick up a mla format??

lastly, i received a great compliment today from my department chair and principal. which is always nice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Yes, I know the feeling. At my school, the trend is to use fabric to cover the boards. Now I have to go out and get a few yards of some bright but not too cutesy fabric.

Are your kids regular ed or honors? Either way, it's better to have high expectations. And as far as grammar goes, just wing it.

I'm going to be winging a lot of things this year... like teaching history for the first time...

5:42 PM  
Blogger Dree said...

I love the idea of doing bulletin boards, but I hate actually doing them. The butcher paper always wrinkles, the border never fits right (so I have to cut extra little pieces to make it fit), and I can never get my letters to go straight. We suffer for our art :)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Go fabric all the way on bulletin boards! It doesn't wrinkle or fade and you can just leave it up year after year. Check with me if you want the lazy and quick way to do anything well in a classroom. ;o)

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home